http://soc.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Bxd_Blk_Sociology_A.png 0 0 Rohan Advani http://soc.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Bxd_Blk_Sociology_A.png Rohan Advani2020-12-17 11:26:552022-10-26 18:24:27Rohan Advani
- M.A. in Sociology, University of California, Los Angeles (2022)
- M.A. in Near Eastern Studies, New York University (2018)
- B.S.F.S. in Regional and Comparative Studies, Georgetown University (2016)
Fields of Study
Historical Sociology, Economic Sociology, Political Sociology, Middle East and North Africa, Singapore
- “Sowing Scarcity: Syria’s Wheat Regime from Self-Sufficiency to Import-Dependency,” Jadaliyya, February 16, 2021
- “A Pit(i)less Blame Game at the Beirut Port of Institutional Corruption,” The Public Source, September 22, 2020.
- “Constructing Commercial Empire: The United Arab Emirates in the Red Sea and the Horn,” The Century Foundation, December 9, 2019.
- “The Imperious Interventions of Gulf Capital,” Middle East Research and Information Project, August 28, 2019.
- “A Realm Without Rights: Noncitizen Workers and Exclusive Citizenship in the Gulf,” in Thanassis Cambanis and Michael Wahid Hanna (eds.) Citizenship and its Discontents: The Struggle for Rights, Pluralism, and Inclusion in the Middle East. (New York: TCF Press, 2019), 134-159
- “Pockets of Privilege: A Historical, Spatial, and Political Economy Analysis of Industrial Zones in Palestine,” New Middle Eastern Studies 7 (2017).
- “Forming Finance: The Establishment of a Domestic Financial Sector in the Persian Gulf, 1952-1973,” Presented at the Middle East Studies Association Annual Conference, November 29 – December 5, 2021.
- “Banking as Freedom: Developing Finance and Financing Development in the Persian Gulf and Singapore (1952-1973),” Presented at Social Science Historical Association Annual Conference, Philadelphia, November 11-14, 2021.
- Discussant (with Dr. Mona Fawaz) on Panel “Citizenship as Political Action: Innovative Approaches,” Asfari Institute for Civil Society and Citizenship, The American University of Beirut, October 2, 2019.
- “Pockets of Privilege: A Historical, Spatial, and Political Economy Analysis of Industrial Zones in Palestine,” Presented at MESAAS Graduate Conference, Columbia University, February 23, 2017.