Sociology Department Counseling
The Sociology department is committed to supporting our students. We are available to assist in a number of ways online. You will find information about those new opportunities to connect with the Sociology department below. Please take care of yourselves and one another.
Join the Sociology BruinLearn (Canvas) site for access to important department resources. This Canvas page is open to current declared majors and students who are working towards declaring the Pre-Sociology or Sociology major.
Ways to Contact Sociology Department Counselors
3. 30-MINUTE ZOOM ADVISING APPOINTMENTS
- Contact us through email or Sociology Message Center Portal to set up a 30-minute Zoom advising appointment. Please be sure to select Sociology under the Academic counseling unit section (see screenshot below).
Please include the following information in your message
- Year in college (1st, 2nd, 3rd, new transfer, 4th)
- A brief description of the main purpose for the appointment (e.g. major exploration, double majoring, assistance with degree planning, academic difficulty, need signature for petitions, etc)
- Attach any petitions or relevant documents
- At least 5 best times or time periods (e.g. Monday 2-3pm) for a 30 minute Zoom meeting in the next 5 business days, Monday-Friday from 9am to 4pm PST.
WHEN TO REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT VIA ZOOM
- Adding a double major or minor
- Academic year planning
- Returning or Dismissed students
- Declaring the Sociology major during Senior year
- Expected Cumulative Progress or Degree Plan Contract petitions
Once your advising appointment has been scheduled, you will be emailed a link to join a Zoom meeting with a specific advisor. Please click the link in the email to join the appointment at your scheduled time. If you cannot join within 10 minutes, we will have to end the appt. During busy periods advisors may not be available to set appts outside of drop-in hours.