For speakers and other events from the Center for the Study of International Migration (CSIM), please go to its home page.
For more information on the events below, or to be added to our mailing list, please contact the student coordinators, Nathan Hoffmann (email@example.com) and Valentina Floegel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Winter 2023 Schedule
- Friday, January 20, 11am: Afaf Nash (linguistics) paper workshop
“Building Patienthood Independently: The Organization of Patients’ Initiatives in Brokered Medical Interviews.”
- Thursday, February 9, 5pm: Professor Abigail Weitzman 237: “It’s Complicated: Migration Motivations Among Asylum Seekers and Other Migrants in Need of International Protection in Costa Rica”
(co-sponsored with FWG and Gender and Sexuality Working Group)
- Friday, February 10, 11am: Professor Abigail Weitzman talk (title TBD) (co-sponsored with FWG and Gender and Sexuality Working Group)
- Tuesday, February 14 10:30am, virtual: Professor Yue Qian talk (Co-sponsored with FWG): “Digital enclaves: Mate preferences and platform choices among Chinese immigrant online dater”
- Friday, February 24: 11am Joseph Nwadiuko (public health) paper workshop
“The health profiles of black undocumented immigrants”
- Tuesday, March 7 at 11am: Minh-E Lau (global studies) paper workshop
“Chinese Immigrant Entrepreneurship as a Method of Cultural Preservation in Los Angeles and Singapore”
- Friday, March 17 at 11am: Kristin Liao (sociology) paper workshop
“Assimilating or Diverging? Generational Differences in Time Use of Asian American and Hispanic Immigrant Youth”