http://soc.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Bxd_Blk_Sociology_A.png 0 0 webteam http://soc.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Bxd_Blk_Sociology_A.png webteam2020-12-17 12:07:382022-10-14 02:51:29Alexis Rae
My research centers around women, politics, and violence. I study the global phenomenon of violence against women in politics and how armed conflict influences female political representation in state legislatures post-conflict. My master’s thesis examines backlash against female candidates in Kenya’s 2017 election.
Fields of Study
Political Sociology; Comparative-Historical Sociology; War & Armed Conflict; Elections; Gender
- Rae, Alexis. Between Resistance & Representation: Backlash Against Female Candidates in Kenya’s 2017 Election.
- 2020 Rae, Alexis. Review of Women Fight, Women Write: Texts on the Algerian War, by Mildred Mortimer. Ufahamu: A Journal of African Studies. 41:2.
- 2017 Coopersmith, Alexis R. “Two Steps Forward, One Step Back: The Contradictory Progress of Gender Representation in Kenya.” Article published in Political Violence at a Glance.
- 2014 Coopersmith, Alexis R. “The Abuse of Entrusted Power: Combating Corruption in Nigeria.” Article published in Prospect Journal of International Affairs .
- 2014 Coopersmith, Alexis R. “African Democracy in a Post-Mandela World.” Article published in Prospect Journal of International Affairs .
- 2013 Coopersmith, Alexis R. “Combating the Ivory Trade.” Article published in Prospect Journal of
- International Affairs .
- 2013 Coopersmith, Alexis R. “Corrective Rape: The Unspeakable Cost of Being a Homosexual in Africa.” Article published in Prospect Journal of International Affairs .
- 2013 Coopersmith, Alexis R. “Teachers Leave Classrooms on Strike in South Africa.” Article published in Prospect Journal of International Affairs .
Awards & Grants
- 2020 Doctoral Fellowship, Gender Equality & Anti-Discrimination Research, WORLD Policy
- Analysis Center, UCLA Fielding School of Public Health
- 2016-2020 Charles F. Scott Fellowship, UCLA Graduate Division
- 2018 Graduate Research Mentorship, UCLA Graduate Division (with Kevan Harris)
- 2017 Graduate Research Mentorship, UCLA Graduate Division (with Aliza Luft)
- 2016-2017 Graduate Student Fellowship, UCLA Department of Sociology
- 2013-2014 William Denman Scholarship, UCSD Undergraduate Division
- 2012-2014 Blue and Gold Opportunity Scholarship, University of California
- 2009-2012 California College Promise Grant, California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office