http://soc.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Bxd_Blk_Sociology_A.png 0 0 webteam http://soc.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Bxd_Blk_Sociology_A.png webteam2020-12-17 15:19:202022-10-26 18:57:48Clara Hanson
I use computational approaches to understand the mechanisms underlying human communication, beliefs, and relationships.
My dissertation research demonstrates how privacy is a socially situated concept using simulations on social network data to explore patterns of interdependent information sharing, online experiments to understand privacy heuristics, and text analysis on news articles to understand variation in moral messaging by topic.
- M.A. Sociology, UCLA, 2017
- M.L.A. Gastronomy, Boston University, 2015
- B.A Sociology, American Studies, (magna cum laude) The George Washington University, 2012
Fields of Study
Science and technology studies, economic sociology, and cultural sociology. Computational and quantitative methods.
Awards & Grants
- Graduate Research Mentorship (2016-2017)
- Graduate Summer Research Mentorship (2016, 2018)
- UCLA Department of Sociology Departmental Fellowship (2015-2020)
- Gastronomy Award for Excellence in Graduate Study (2015)
- Julia Child Award for Outstanding Academic Work in Food History (2014)
- Elsie M. Carper Prize for Outstanding Senior Research Essay in American Studies (2012)
- GW’s Department of Sociology Excellence in Research and Writing Award (2012)