http://soc.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Bxd_Blk_Sociology_A.png 0 0 webteam http://soc.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Bxd_Blk_Sociology_A.png webteam2020-12-18 09:47:552022-10-14 02:49:44Amanda McArthur
- C.Phil. Sociology – University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) – 2018
- M.A. Sociology – University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) – 2016
- M.A. Linguistics – California State University, Northridge (CSUN) – 2014
- B.A. English & Philosophy – Drexel University – 2009
Fields of Study
Sociology of Medicine, Talk & Interaction in Medicine, Sociology of Diagnosis, Conversation Analysis, Mixed Methods
- Heritage, J. & McArthur, A. (2019). The diagnostic moment: A study in US primary care. Social Science & Medicine, 228, 262–271.
- McArthur, A. (2019). Pain and the collision of expertise in primary care physical exams. Discourse Studies, 21(5), 522–539.
- McArthur, A. (2018). Getting pain on the table in primary care physical exams. Social Science & Medicine, 200, 190–198.
- McArthur, A. (under revision). Communicating ‘good enough’ diagnoses in primary care: The impact of wording on patient confidence.
Awards & Grants
- UCLA Dissertation Year Fellowship – 2019-2020
- Academy of Communication in Healthcare (ACH) Humanities & Social Sciences Scholarship – 2019
- UCLA Sociology Departmental Fellowship – 2018-2019
- ASA Graduate Student Paper Award, Conversation Analysis & Ethnomethodology – 2018
- UCLA Department of Sociology Excellence in Teaching Award – 2018
- UCLA Graduate Summer Research Mentorship – 2017
- UCLA Graduate Summer Research Mentorship – 2016
- Constantine and Perina Panunizo Fellowship – 2015
- UCLA Sociology Departmental Fellowship – 2014-2015
- Sally Casanova California Pre-Doctoral Scholarship – 2013-2014
- CSUN Graduate Fellowship for Research & Creative Activity – 2013
- James Russell Simpson Student Scholarship – 2012
- Fulbright English Teaching Assistanship – 2009-2010
- Drexel College of Arts & Sciences Research Fellowship – 2008
- International Conference on Communication in Healthcare (ICCH). ‘Are we sure that’s what I have?’: Diagnosis resistance in US primary care. San Diego, CA; October 30, 2019.
- 5th International Conference on Conversation Analysis (ICCA). Diagnostic indeterminacy about musculoskeletal pain in acute primary care visits. Loughborough, England; July 12, 2018.
- 15th International Pragmatics Conference (IPrA). Displaying pain in response to a doctor’s touch: One resource for delivering unsolicited pain information in primary care physical exams. Panel: Emotion as an action-oriented resource in interaction. Belfast, Northern Ireland; July 20, 2017.
- 6th International Meeting on Conversation Analysis and Clinical Encounters (CACE). Preliminary diagnosis in acute primary care encounters. Bristol, England; July 13, 2017.
- National Communication Association (NCA) 102nd Annual Convention. Locating pain as an interactional achievement: Coordinating touch and talk in medical examinations. Philadelphia, PA; November 10, 2016.
- American Sociological Association (ASA) 111th Annual Meeting. Negotiating the pain search in primary care physical exams. Seattle, WA; August 21, 2016.
- University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)’s Language, Interaction, and Social Organization (LISO) “Language and the Body Day.” Locating pain as an interactional achievement: Coordinating touch and talk in medical examinations. Santa Barbara, CA; March 11, 2016.
- 4th International Conference on Conversation Analysis (ICCA). “I don’t like your face!” A sequential analysis of enactments of dementia behavior among long-term caregivers. Los Angeles, CA; June 27, 2014.