Rho Chapter of California
What is AKD?
Description: The name, Alpha Kappa Delta, represents the first three letters of three Greek words: anthropon (mankind), katamanthanein (to investigate thoroughly or to conduct research) and diakonesein (for the purpose of service). The name, freely interpreted, signifies social research for the purpose of service.
Purpose: AKD seeks to acknowledge and promote excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology, the research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition.
Foundation: AKD was founded at the University of Southern California in 1920 by Dr. Emory S. Bogardus and became affiliated with the Association of College Honor Societies in 1967.
Who are AKD members?
More than 92,000 lifetime members are affiliated with Alpha Kappa Delta. These are people with academic records showing excellence in sociology.
There are currently over 600 AKD chapters.
The Chapter here at UCLA is the Rho Chapter of California.
Why become a member?
AKD provides a variety of services to its members.
- Every new initiate receives a certificate of membership, membership card, and a membership activation form
- Members who submit completed activation forms receive a free one-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry, the official journal of AKD.
- Members have access to the AKD Newsletter, election materials, and other services on our website.
- AKD sponsors student paper contests for members with cash prizes.
- AKD sponsors a Distinguished Lecture series at the Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association, and contributes annually to the ASA Minority Scholarship Fund.
- AKD members who become Civil Service employees receive a two-step boost in pay grade if they list AKD membership on their applications.
How does one become an AKD member?
Minimum requirements apply to all chapters of AKD.
Must be a declared Sociology major and:
1. Have at least junior standing (90+ units)
2. Have an overall GPA of at least 3.3
3. Have completed a minimum of 4 upper division sociology courses at UCLA
4. Have a Sociology GPA of at least 3.0 (in upper division sociology courses)
How to apply:
Each Spring Quarter the Rho Chapter of California accepts membership applications along with the membership fee. Applications are available here. Students who meet the above criteria are submitted as initiates for lifetime membership in AKD. Membership materials will be mailed during the Summer.
Deadline to apply: June 30, 2017.
Please contact the Undergraduate Counselor, Simbi Mahlanza (firstname.lastname@example.org), for additional information.